My research investigates how platforms are organized to best orchestrate large numbers of surrounding actors and innovators. My work has been published in Management Science, the RAND Journal of Economics, the Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Research Policy, and Nature Biotech. I am an assistant editor of Management Science in its Business Strategy department, and in the Innovation and Entrepreneurship department. I am on the editorial board of the Strategic Management Journal. I teach strategy, innovation entrepreneurship, digital and platform economics, and research design.
* Northeastern University: Entrepreneurship & Innovation of School of Business, Department of Economics, College of Computer and Information Sciences; Research Center on Digital Innovation, Economics and Strategy
* Harvard University: Institute of Quantitative Social Science
* NASA Tournament Lab
Prior to pursuing academic research, carried out engineering research, experiments and statistical models and then later engaged in Strategy Consulting and M&A at Bell Northern Research, Braxton Associates, Qualcomm and The Economist Group.
- Digital Mash-ups, Patents and Copyright
- Incentives in Public Contests
- Scientific Collaborations
- Centralized and Decentralized Collaboration Matching Online
- Incentive Problems in Crowdfunding
- Market Selection and Innovation in Digital Marketplaces
- Boudreau, K., and K. Lakhani (2015) Innovation Experiments: Researching Technical Advance, Knowledge Production and the Design of Supporting Institutions. In Innovation Policy and the Economy National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), volume 16, edited by Josh Lerner and Scott Stern. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Lakhani, K., K. Boudreau, L. Backstrom, C. Baldwin, P. Loh, E. Lonstein, M. Lydon, A. MacCormack, R. Arnaout and E. Guinan. (2013) Prize-based contests can provide solutions to computational biology problems. Nature Biotechnology. 31(2):108.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2013) Using the Crowd as an Innovation Partner. Harvard Business Review. 91(4): 60-69. (Harvard Business Review McKinsey Award best paper finalist, 2013)
- Guinan, E., K. Boudreau, K. Lakhani. (2013) Experiments in Open Innovation at the Harvard Medical School. MIT Sloan Management Review. 54(3): 45-52.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2011) The Confederacy of Heterogeneous Software Organizations and Heterogeneous Developers: Field Experimental Evidence on Sorting and Worker Effort. J. Lerner and S. Stern (eds.), The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity, 50th Anniversary Volume. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2009) How to Manage Outside Innovation: Competitive Markets or Collaborative Communities? MIT Sloan Management Review. 50(4): 69-75.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R., K. Boudreau and J. Mitchell. (2008) Palm (A): The Debate on Licensing Palm's OS (1997).
- Casadesus-Masanell, R., K. Boudreau and J. Mitchell. (2008) Palm (B): 2001.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R., K. Boudreau and J. Mitchell. (2008) Palm (C): 2005.
- Casadesus-Masanell, R., K. Boudreau and J. Mitchell. (2008) Palm (D): Epilogue as of 2008.
- Francioli, S., K. Boudreau. (2008) The Commercial Space Business: EADS Astrium.
- Blasco, A. and K. Boudreau. (2011) Fubles.com: Growing a Platform.
- Boudreau, K. (2015) The Economist Corporate Network. (unpublished)