Dr. Boudreau studies strategy and policy in sectors shaped by data, digitization, technology and innovation. In particular, he has authored a series ofstudies on platform innovation--including multi-sided markets, crowdsourcing, social networks, wikis, open source, etc..
Dr. Boudreau's work has been published in a range of research journals including Management Science, the RAND Journal of Economics, various NBER publications, Organization Science, Research Policy, Nature Biotech, the Strategic Management Journal, along with practitioner journals. He is an assistant editor of Management Science in its Business Strategy department, and in the Innovation and Entrepreneurship department.
Dr. Boudreau received his PhD at MIT in Behavioral and Policy Sciences. Previously, he studied Economics at the University of Toronto. Earlier, he trained in Engineering at the University of Waterloo in Canada, where he was awarded for designing and carrying out experiments on heat transfer from microprocessors, and where he built statistical tools for wafer fab production analysis.
He has worked in various engineering, leadership and advisory/consulting roles in technology, science, media, telecoms and data companies and public organizations in the North America, South America, Europe, Middle East and Africa. He has led courses in core Strategy, Policy and Business Design, and taught other related and advanced courses.
New Papers & Projects
- Boudreau, K. Competition, Innovation and Experimentation with Low Innovation Costs and Creative Work. (manuscript)
- Boudreau, K., L. Jeppesen, M. Miric. Digital Mash-ups and Intellectual Property Rights (manuscript)
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani, M. Menietti. Incentives in Contests (manuscript)
- Boudreau, K., T. Brady, I. Ganguli, P. Gaule, E. Guinan, T. Hollenberg, K. Lakhani. Search Costs and Scientific Collaborations (working paper)
- Other projects: modern strategy and business design
- Boudreau, K., Jeppesen, Reichstein, Rullani. (2015) Crowdfunding as 'Donations': Theory and Evidence. (under review)
- Boudreau, K. (2015) Historical Evidence on Platform Organization (under review)
Published and Forthcoming
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani, M. Menietti. Performance Responses To Competition Across Skill-Levels In Rank Order Tournaments: Field Evidence and Implications For Tournament Design. RAND Journal of Economics (forthcoming).
- Boudreau, K., and K. Lakhani (2015) Innovation Experiments: Researching Technical Advance, Knowledge Production and the Design of Supporting Institutions. In Innovation Policy and the Economy National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), volume 16, edited by Josh Lerner and Scott Stern. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Boudreau, K., E. Guinan, K. Lakhani and C. Riedl. (2015) Looking Across and Looking Beyond the Knowledge Frontier: Intellectual Distance, Novelty and Resource Allocation in Science. Management Science (forthcoming).
- Boudreau, K., L. Jeppesen (2014) Unpaid Platform Complementors and the Network Effect Mirage. Strategic Management Journal.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani (2014) 'Open' Disclosure of Innovations, Incentives and Follow-on Reuse: Theory on Processes of Cumulative Innovation and a Field Experiment in Computational Biology. Research Policy.
- Lakhani, K., K. Boudreau, L. Backstrom, C. Baldwin, P. Loh, E. Lonstein, M. Lydon, A. MacCormack, R. Arnaout and E. Guinan. (2013) Prize-based contests can provide solutions to computational biology problems. Nature Biotechnology. 31(2):108.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2013) Using the Crowd as an Innovation Partner. Harvard Business Review. 91(4): 60-69. (Harvard Business Review McKinsey Award best paper finalist, 2013)
- Guinan, E., K. Boudreau, K. Lakhani. (2013) Experiments in Open Innovation at the Harvard Medical School. MIT Sloan Management Review. 54(3): 45-52.
- Boudreau, K. (2012) Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom? An Early Look at Large Numbers of Software “Apps” Developers and Patterns of Innovation. Organization Science. 23: 1409-1427.
- Boudreau, K., N. Lacetera and K. Lakhani (2011) Incentives and Problem Uncertainty in Innovation Contests: An Empirical Analysis. Management Science. 57(5): 843-863. (Management Science best paper finalist)
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2011) The Confederacy of Heterogeneous Software Organizations and Heterogeneous Developers: Field Experimental Evidence on Sorting and Worker Effort. J. Lerner and S. Stern (eds.), The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity, 50th Anniversary Volume. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Boudreau, K. (2010) Open Platform Strategies and Innovation: Granting Access vs. Devolving Control. Management Science. 56(10): 1849-1872.
- Boudreau, K., A. Hagiu. (2009) Platforms Rules: Multi-sided Platforms as Regulators. A. Gawer, ed. Platforms, Markets and Innovation. Edward Elgar, London.
- Boudreau, K., K. Lakhani. (2009) How to Manage Outside Innovation: Competitive Markets or Collaborative Communities? MIT Sloan Management Review. 50(4): 69-75.